Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The leadership program

What a group of intellectual, talented, delightful, warm, and motivated young people! I wasn't sure what to expect when Mitri asked me to talk with them. He gave me no direction or topic, just told me to 'talk'.


As it turned out, it was a pleasure. Mitri had asked me to talk with his group for their benefit. I'm not sure what I was able to give to them, but they certainly inspired me, and I left feeling very proud to know them, and quite happy at the end of the day, even though I had to go through that damn terminal again [twice! because I left my journal at one of the security checks...but that's another story]

Something about being here that touches me in a special way. Perhaps its the romantic notion of my homeland that I carry in my heart and manifest in my mind here. Maybe seeing the magnitude of the injustice so close reaches something deeper inside of me. It's certainly humbling to see the perserverance and steadfastness with which people here live. Mostly, it's just inspiring to see how hope and beauty still bloom even under the darkest of circumstances. Like the group of young men and women I met today. Things aren't perfect here, not by a long stretch. But I feel quite proud to come from such a people, such a culture, and such a place.

No comments: