Thursday, February 21, 2008

Going to Beit Anan

My day started a bit late today. I was up until the wee hours last night updating the website and preparing the newsletter; so, I slept in. It doesn't matter when I get up in this house, there seems to always be a fresh pot of coffee! But what do you care, right?

I got to the Qalandia checkpoint without much fuss and on time. H. and M. were waiting for me and we drove off toward Beit Anan. Actually, we went four-wheeling toward Beit Anan [seriously bumpy road].


Let me tell you, though: The landscape was something to behold. I took a few pictures, but they don't do it justice. It was really lovely.

We made it there about an hour later at 1pm, but we were an hour early. So, we decided to get a bite to eat since all three of us were starving. The locals laughed at us when we asked them to point us toward a restaurant. One guy invited us to eat with his family. H. suggested that a small shawerma place might do well in the Beit Anan [note to self...].


Anyway, we settled on a baqalleh [small store], got some bread, labaneh, and hummus, and had a little picnic before heading back to the NGO to go over the playground plans.


There's a certain beauty in the way that nothing ever seems to go as planned here. Or at least as I plan. So, I wasn't all that upset when I saw that the ground hadn't been cleared and leveled as it was supposed to have been before my arrival. I just look upset in the picture. But really, life is good. The landscape was so uplifting to me, nothing could have bothered me today, certainly not there. Besides, Sonia will be here when I leave. So, I know the work will get done and someone from PfP will cut the ribbon.

No comments: